Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 25, 2011

no-guilt gluten free bread

IMG_1024

I’ve finally found a diet that works for my eating habits and my needs, and have enjoyed the initial successes.  I’m planning on posting more about the diet in the coming weeks as the pounds continue to peel off, but in the mean time I wanted to share a recipe with you all.

The main premise of the diet that I am on is that you can’t have starches or sugars, which comprise a large portions of the foods we eat these days.  Initially I thought this would be a struggle for me, but it turns out protein and veggies are pretty filling and can be manipulated into healthy treats!

I’m not a big toast or sandwich person, but I do love some warm, fresh bread, or a crusty loaf of french bread.  The recipe below contains no gluten or sugar.

Oat Bran Bread

4 Eggs, separated
6 Tbsp Oat Bran
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
4 Tbsp Skim Milk Powder (instant)
1 tsp Splenda
Dash of Salt
Herbs and spices to taste (I used dill this time, but Rosemary would be yummy!)

 

Preheat oven to 325F.

In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients.

In a large bowl beat egg whites until peaks form, then on slow speed slowly incorporate the egg yolks.

Continue mixing while adding in the dry ingredients a little at a time, then mix for another minute or two.

Pour into a loaf pan or other small oven safe dish (I used a small round corningware dish).

Cook for 25 minutes or until browned on top.  Let cool slightly before slicing.

IMG_1026

Yum!

The eggs give it that light and airy crumb of my favourite breads, and I can have 2 slices a day during this phase of my diet.  I wouldn’t use this as a sandwich bread, but it’s great when you’re just craving a slice of bread!

1 comment:

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

mmm, I will try this...I need to be on a high protein low carb diet for pcos and apparently some ppl have success with gluten free as well so this looks promising!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails