Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 30, 2010

10: freezer cooking – day 3

Our final (official) day of freezer cooking, and it was a pretty laid back day.  I slept in, made a short trip to the grocery store for a few things I’d forgotten, and rearranged the freezer to assess how much room there was left.

Today I only made four things, with Cauliflower soup and buttermilk pancakes getting kicked off the roster until I clear a bit more room in the freezer.

 

burritos
Freezer Burritos

I love mexican food and probably won’t get the chance to make it over to Mexicali Rosa’s or even Taco Bell much in the first few months (probably a good thing).  I’ve picked up the frozen burritos that you find in stores once or twice before, but this recipe seemed like a tasty alternative.  Next time, I think I’ll make my own refried beans, as I think the canned stuff has a lot of lard. Yuck.

 

lasagna

Lasagna

One of my favourite Pioneer Woman recipes.  I think it’s because of the addition of hot sausage – I love spicy foods!  I actually made the above pan for a friend who just had a baby, but the rest of it got packaged up into my little tin foil pans for the freezer.  I had put it in the fridge and then remembered I needed to take a picture so the cheese had melted a little then congealed – trust me it tastes a lot better than it looks! 

 

shake n bake

Shake ‘n Bake

I decreased the salt a little bit from the original recipe.  Good prices on boneless, skinless chicken breasts have been hard to find lately, so I wanted something that could make it easy to make a meal with chicken legs or bone in thighs.

 

nuts

Candied Nuts

I was starting to clean up the mess that is my kitchen after all of this cooking and I noticed this can of nuts on the shelf.  I’d rather have beer nuts or spiced nuts than the plain old salted nuts in a can, so I figured I could find a recipe to transform them.  Smitten Kitchen had a great recipe with a little bit of cayenne (spice!) that satisfied my craving and made use of some nuts that had been lying around since Christmas (stocking stuffer).

 

Notes:

I found blueberry waffles on sale at Metro which is why I didn’t make the pancakes at this time, and the last soup just isn’t going to fit in the freezer until I use some more old stuff up.  My mom brought over some chili and bean soup for the freezer as well, so the cauliflower soup isn’t really needed (thanks Mom!).

As I mentioned before, I haven’t found boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a good price, so I’m not going to do the chicken marinades yet.  They are something that I can do as I find chicken for a decent price; I’ve got a couple weeks before I’ll be on my own with the baby, so it’s not an emergency.

Oh, and the pizza and breadstick dough!  I discovered that the Hot Roll Mix can be used to make pizza dough really quickly, so I decided I’d save some room in the freezer and use the one mix for both.  I’ll post the recipes that I use the Hot Roll and Muffin mixes for in the future as I make them.

Tomorrow I’ll do a round-up of the week and show how I’m organizing the freezer.  Stay tuned!

 

Motherhood

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails