Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, May 16, 2010

85: mirror redo

mirror 4

I found this mirror a few weeks ago on sale for 14.99. It wasn’t an amazing steal or anything, I just really enjoyed the shape and was looking for another project for the baby’s room. Her room is going to have a wall of frames similar to our living room, and I want to incorporate a mirror in their somehow to reflect some more light around the room, and as well so she can see the reflection of herself when we’re looking at the pictures of her Daddy and our family members. I’ve been selecting darker framed pictures and accessories to add some richness to the room, so I gave the mirror the same treatment.

Motherhood

When I first got the mirror, it had really weird staining/colouring. The main colour was a brownish red stain, and it had splotches around the frame of black paint. I took some photos of it in it’s original state, but the sun was going down so it may be hard to see what I’m talking about.

mirror 1

mirror 2

I covered the mirror portion with some paper got to work painting the frame. Because of all the small holes and curls around the edge, my first step was to paint it with some craft paint to get it into the holes. This made it easier later when I coated it with my glossy black spray paint.

Next, I took it outside and balanced it on a container to get it off the ground. I wanted to be able to get it from all angles to make sire I got all of the holes and sides adequately covered.

mirror 3

Finally, I got a microfiber cloth and some water and I cleaned up the glass to make sure it shined.

mirror 5

It’s not up on the wall yet, but I’ll make sure I get another post up when I’m assembling the frame wall.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Jen


Check out other great DIY projects at DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land!

2 comments:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I love it! It looks so much better than the original patina of the frame ... great job!

Decor To Adore said...

What a great Do It Yourself project. You are a clever and creative gal.

I just completed a project that took 23 years. Come take a peek.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails