Monday, October 5, 2009

Simple Fall Decor

Now that summer is over and I'm s-l-o-w-l-y transitioning our home into the fall season, I'm finding my taste in decor has become a lot more simplistic.

I had the opportunity to attend a tent sale at the candle factory near where I work, and I picked up quite a few items for my fall decorating (and a couple for my Christmas Garlands and decor). I tried to look at the items through 'decorator glasses' and see the multiple uses an item could have, and how I could improve an item that wasn't my taste.

My first trip there (yes, there were two), I picked up a small wall shelf ($6) and a small(ish) wooden pillar candle holder ($3). I was going to pass them up at first because they had some unfortunate 'shabby' details, but I figured I could cover the red/hot pink up with a permanent marker, and it worked perfectly!


After covering up all of the red detailing, I put the shelf on the fireplace mantle under our TV and threw some candles on there. Delightful!


A couple of days later I went back to the sale and managed to snatch up a medium sized candle holder ($5), and gave it the same sharpie treatment. Here's what I came up with with the two candle holders, some candles from around the house, and one of the gold metal stars I bought at the sale ($1 each). It's not fall specific decor, but it brings in some of the richer colour of the season, and I love it!


Next, I added a few new things to my frame wall, and rearranged the living room a little bit to open the space up a little more.


One other fall decoration I created was modelled after a Ballard Designs copy done by Kara @ Creations by Kara. I used some leftover leaves and a wheat stalk and tied it to a candle using some twine. I put it on my kitchen shelves against a wicker basket which compliments its colours.


A couple of weeks ago I got tired of looking at the random empty space at the top of the 'fridge cave' and I used some material I had in the house to cover it up. You can tell by the right side that it's not 100% done, and I'm still looking for some cute fringe to glue along the bottom, but it's definitely an improvement, and it means I can use it for real storage instead of worrying about my storage looking 'nice'.


I'm putting this up on Kimba's DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.





7 comments:

pk said...

Great updates! I really like your simple candle with the leaf, twine, rocks, candle. All of the texture involved in that one little arrangement is awesome!
pk @ room remix

Kathy said...

I love all of your ideas...thanks for sharing.

Kathy :)

Sheri said...

Such a sweet sweet wall. I love the "I DO"


I have a linky party going you may want to link up: http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-great-pumpkin.html

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

I love your fall decorations. The candles on the shelf - you said it right - delightful! I bet it's so pretty when the lights are low. I'm really loving having candles lit right now. Hope you have a great afternoon chicky!

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

Beautiful!

Cindy Harvey said...

Very cool! I"m loving your wall with all the interesting (and beautiful) things. Love the candles displays especially....
peace, cindy

MotherhoodFilm said...

I really enjoyed looking around your blog! What great ideas!! I love Fall decor!
*Eliza’s blog*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails